Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dessert!.... for breakfast?




When I was little I was not allowed to eat sugary breakfast cereals. My mom didn't think they had any nutritional value so they were all banned from our house. My sister and I grew up eating Rice Krispies and Cheerios and Chex. No Lucky Charms or Fruity Pebbles or CoCo Puffs. I always thought I was missing out.

When I started college, the dining center had a cereal bar that offered about a dozen different cereals. So, like any other 18 year old fresh out of their parents' house, I seized the opportunity to thumb my nose at their rules and tried it.

One of the most disgusting things I've eaten in my life. And I've tried Vegemite.

As someone with a pretty big sweet tooth (I do not share desserts), you would think I would love them but I actually prefer savory breakfasts. Eggs are amazing.

I don't have children or nieces or nephews so this is a bit judgmental but I wonder about the parents that allow their kids to eat things like Cap'n Crunch and Honey Smacks. You can insist that the kids won't eat anything else all you want but they weren't the ones that brought it into the house.

Again, I don't have kids. Maybe when I do I will give in and buy just to shut them up. But somehow, I think this is one of the things that my mom did that I will enforce.

I turned out all right. Even with out the Froot Loops.

No comments:

Post a Comment