Thursday, April 22, 2010

FOOD, inc.

I need to see this movie. NEED to see it. The director, Robert Kenner, is on Bonnie Hunt right now and I do not have the words right now to express how disgusted I am with the food industry.

My sophomore year of high school I read "Fast Food Nation" and wound up writing a research paper about it.

RANDOM FACT: according to Kenner, a burger doesn't contain parts of 100 cows. The meat and the filler (which is treated with ammonia to kill E. Coli and looks like wood pulp) each contain parts of 1,000 cows. Each. That is 2,000 cows. TWO THOUSAND COWS.

I've made a decision. I am going to work towards being a vegetarian again. I am going to do this gradually, starting with one day a week where I eat no meat and eventually going up to eating no meat. This will be hard. I love bacon, ham, chicken, steak.

I was a vegetarian for about a year in high school and, yes, it was hard. I stopped because I got mono and lost a ton of weight in the three months I was sick so I started eating meat again to put the weight back on. I just never went back to being a vegetarian.

The hardest part about being a vegetarian for me was that I am not a big fan of fruit. I like apples, clementines, watermelons and...... um.... bananas, sometimes....... pomegranates...... and that's it. I'm a vegetable girl. Bell peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, squash, cucumbers, spinach, pea pods, I love it all.

Except, of course, tomatoes. They can burn in hell for all I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment